Friday 10 July 2009

Ron Smoorenburg interview by Anthony Dawe‏

No 1.Ron, can you tell me about yourself and how you got introduced to the martial arts? I always was fascinated by martial art films. Then there was a tv series about ninja’s calledthe Master with lee van Cleef. Everybody was making throwing stars and weapons.I took karate lessons and my teacher was very good and helped me a lotwit a lot of extra free lessons. Every day I dreamt of being a movie star !

No 2.What styles have you studyed? as you have also been in some karate competitions?Karate 15 years ( 4th dan)Free fight 9 years ( 4th dan )Tae Kwon doHap ki DoBreakdanceCapoeraBoxingGymnasticsI did karate and free fight championships. With karate I became National Champion (15 years old ), won a freefight match and got the record highest kick (11 feet )

No 3.You got your major break in a movie called "who am i" with jackie chan, how was it working on that movie? and do you have any good storys to tell?I had to be instantly a super star on the highest level of martial art movies. It was the best experience in my life. Later I went to Hong Kongand compared to what Jackie demanded from me, Hong Kong was a lot more easier !


No. 4.Jackie chan is a true master at the martial arts and fight scenes,but do you think you could have done a better job on the roof top fight if you was under a little less stress from the j.c. team?
Jackie and his team gave me a lot of stress. I had a lot of pressure. I will tell you why. Normally you practice a fight scene a day before andyou know the routine. Now it’s 5 minutes before. You have to do 10 moves, follow a certain path, look at Jackie, remember your acting,remember the camera angles. I really could repeat the series 3 times and then they started shooting already. When 1 detail of the pointsabove was not good or could be better everybody came to me and, I had to remember 6 things to focus on the next shot. Then I heard the sound already,, like ready…. Action… almost impossible to concentrate…. Jackie also made me a little insecure by becoming angry even when It wasn’t my mistake.Afterwards a very good stuntman named Sam Wong came to me and said “ Ron don’t worry I work for 15 years with Jackie now and hestill makes me nervous’ Now I have the experience and can stay cool no matter what people are telling me while shooting.

No 5.You have also worked in a movie called fighting fish, whats it about? and what role did you play? Is it a martial arts movie?Fighting Fish is not a movie I am very happy with !

No 6.Ron you have amazing kicks, but i don't think you have had a real chance to let lose and show your real fighting on screen, do you have any plans do make your own action movie in holland?The market in Holland is not right. The public loves children movies and romantic movies. I have plans to make a big martial arts movie for asia.Using a lot of good stunt people I know, and give them the chance to show what they can as well instead of cutting their moves and make yourself only look good.

No 7.Ron will you ever go and work in the states and become noticed like Van Damme and Daniel Bernhardt?That’s my next plan, but I love to work in Thailand because here it’s the place where it happens now. I love Asia more thenthe Usa.

No 8.Tom yum goong is a recent movie that you have been seen in, how did you get the role? I was too late to have a big part in it, but I got the chance to work on the last 3 days of shooting and got a highlightin the movie. Later Tony Jaa asked me for a commercial called Lam Jai.

No 9.Whats tony jaa and his team like to work with? as they are all very good stunt guys. how long the fight with the gurads take to shoot? as it was awsome.The team of Tony jaa is very good and know how it feels to get a hit. I have a lot of respect for them as well they have for you.Tony is the example of how a movie star should be, humble and awesome.

No 10 with action stars like scott adkins,mark dacascos, gary daniels, donnie yen, all showing that they can display great action on film,would you like to work with these guys? Yes, I worked with Donnie before and I love to share experience with all of them. They know as well it’s a very tough business andthey have to be in top condition every moment also. No 11.Are their any directors out thier that you would love to work with and direct you in a movie, so you could show case yourself to the best?- Donnie Yen- John Woo- Juen Woo Ping

No 12 Have you got any plans to go back and work in hong kong on any movies in the near future? Yes, I still remember Hong Kong, It was a great time in 2000! Already 5 years ago !I love to go back !

No 13.Will you be working with tony jaa and his team again on his next movie as i hear its called sword? I am preparing a lot for new movies, I never say never to be in this movie as well. But I don’t know now !

No 14.Whats Prachya like as a director? he's fantastic at shooting action, was he impressed with your work in tom yum goong? Pracha is great, and was impressed because I could do a lot of moves being almost 98 KG.

No 15.Do you have any good storys to tell me from the set of tom yum goong? did anything happen while the movie was being made in Australia? I don’t know, I trained a lot with the team and a little with Tony Jaa, we did a kind of battle, like the breakdancers do ! No 16.Dean Alexandrou,Jon Foo,and Lateef Crowder all worked on TYG and did an amazing job. Did you meet and work with these guys also.?I know them but havens spoke with them or trained with them. I know dean, he’s very good and I think one of the best stuntmen around. No 17.So whats next for you ron? have you got any good movie projects comming up soon?I have to do a role and stunts for a new pirate movie, and I have to play a main bad guy vs the number 2 (tony Jaa)in Thailand called Michael B. The movie is called No Way Out and we shot the trailer already.

No 18.Whats your view on wire work.CGI in the movies? and did you do all your own stunts un TYG? Yes I did everything in TYG. I cannot accept a stuntdouble anymore like in Who am I, because I can do everything myself.I got a kick right in my face. I don’t like to work with wires especially when you can do the same better without.

No 19.Do you think thailand and korea are the new places in asia making blockbuster movies? sha po lang is very impressive and its the first hk movie in a very long time that iv enjoyed watching, would ever consider working in korea? as they have made so many amazing movies in the past few years.I heard about the Korean market, I did not focus on that market but I hear a lot of good storied about Korea. Now I am expanding in Asiaso we’ll never know what the future brings !

Ron, its been cool talking with you. Keep up the good work, and i hope that we can work together sometime? =)

Sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where can I read the interview?
Ps I have pictures and more story at:http://www.mega-media.info/ronsmoorenburg/

Thanks
by Anthony Dawe.

No comments:

Post a Comment